The following is an example of a team agreement.
In this example, Debra, Sally and Jack are fictional members of a language planning team. Debra is the full-time language planner and project manager (compensated through project funding). Sally is a paid intern. Jack has been given permission to devote up to 16 hours a week to language planning from his regular work as the community’s recreation coordinator.
Language Planning Team Agreement
This agreement has been developed to guide Debra, Sally and Jack (the language planning team) as they complete the spring (pre-planning) stage of the language revitalization plan.
The planning team agrees to work together with the following values and principles:
- Culturally based
Roles and Responsibilities
The planning team members will be responsible for the following:
Debra (Project Manager)
- Leads the planning team, keeps the project on track by managing the work plan, manages the planning team budget
- Leads the language profile
- Leads the community engagement process
- Writes the language plan
Sally (Community Engagement Coordinator)
- Develops documents such as posters, templates and other materials
- Plans and coordinates community engagement events (takes care of logistics, including booking the space and coordinating food, drinks and door prizes)
- Will devote six to eight hours per week of her internship to support language planning communications and initiatives
Jack (Researcher and Facilitator)
- Facilitates community meetings and designs engagement events (plans the agenda)
- Gathers and organizes information gathered from community members that will go into the plan
- Administers the survey / interviews community members for the language profile
- Will devote 16 hours per week to support language planning initiatives, as needed
The planning team will use the following communication methods:
- Email: Email is the preferred method of communication. Each team member commits to checking their email daily and responding in a timely manner (within 24 hours), unless the team member is off that day.
- Phone / text messages: If an immediate reply is needed, the team will communicate through phone or text message. Team members prefer that calls or texts only be sent/received during regular business hours (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), unless there is a community event outside of those hours that they are preparing for.
- Video calls: The members would prefer not to use video calls, as connection is not very stable for some members.
The planning team agrees to have weekly team meetings by phone or in person (if permitted under public health guidelines).
The planning team will strive for consensus when making decisions throughout the planning process. In instances where consensus isn’t achieved, Debra, the project manager, will make the final decision.
Should there be a disagreement or conflict between planning team members, the planning team agrees to use the following approach:
- Members will refer to cultural protocols and traditional practices if applicable.
- Members will express concerns in a respectful and kind manner while offering constructive solutions.
Planning Team Contact Information
- Debra – (250) 123-4567 (cell) email@example.com
- Sally – (123) 456-7890 (cell) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jack – (123) 456-7890 (cell) email@example.com
Planning Team Signatures
By signing below, we indicate that we will honour and uphold the team agreement.
- Debra – June 29
- Sally – June 29
- Jack – June 29